Job type Full time
Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a member of the Billing team, you will provide value to our clients and talents, by improving the experience around processing invoices. The team owns the entire flow, from the UI to downstream integrations. We design, build, and maintain GraphQL APIs, React components, and integration services with multiple 3rd party apps.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Write elegant, efficient, and testable Ruby code that is easy to maintain and debug.
- Review the work of your colleagues.
- Cover code with tests and perform manual testing of features, while reviewing the work of colleagues.
- As a great teammate, continuously improve the team’s processes, brainstorm ideas, and communicate statuses and progress.
- Mentor other people, provide feedback and grow as a part of the team.
- Actively participate in meetings including Scrum meetings, squad meetings, pair programming sessions, etc.
In the first week, expect to:
- Begin your onboarding and integration into Toptal.
- Get familiar with our product portfolio and team structure.
- Review our extensive Toptal Engineering Documentation to become familiar with our working processes.
In the first month, expect to:
- Develop your first tasks and have them deployed to production.
- Learn about the technology that powers Toptal – services, patterns, and libraries we use and develop.
- Have strong knowledge of Toptal’s business.
- Contribute to our product development.
- Develop a deeper understanding of our technology, processes, and product pipeline.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Actively supply software planning, development, and maintenance.
- Be ready to propose and implement improvements to Toptal’s processes and codebase.
- Deliver value in a regular cadence.
- Get comfortable in your daily work within your team.
- Review code written by your colleagues.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Contribute to planning and executing multi-sprint initiatives inside your team.
- Lead technical initiatives on our team.
- Drive improvements to the codebase and processes.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have a detailed understanding of Toptal’s technical stack, collaboration rituals, processes, performance, and future work.
- Determine what your career path looks like at Toptal.
- Mentor Toptal’s new team members.
- Exchange 360 feedback with peers in an annual review cycle.
- Have 5+ years of web development experience.
- Have a strong knowledge of object-oriented programming, automated software testing, databases, development, and testing essential methodologies.
- Care about multiple quality dimensions like user impact, failure tolerance, code maintenance, implementation time, security breaches, and performance.
- Have experience with GraphQL.
- Be genuinely interested in technology and love to try new things.
- Seek complex problems but also consider multiple solutions, weigh them in, and decide on the best course of action.
- Grow with providing and receiving transparent but always constructive feedback.